Wednesday 27 October 2010

Hymns and Spiritual Songs...


One of the joys of being in the Blogosphere is making international virtual friends who lift your spirits with their thoughts and encouragement. Posting the video above was a direct result of reading this on the When Love Comes to Town blog, one that I have on my Blogroll and is clearly a fellow pilgrim on the 'Redeeming Culture' trail.

Over the last couple of days I have been wrestling with what to write about the version of 'In Christ Alone' that appeared as a just for fun 'cover song' on stellar musician Adam Young's Owl City Blog... so I am grateful for Mike Todd's excellent piece today, A Mild Rant on Sacredness, Owl City and The Jesus Station, which says so well what I wished I had thought of...

Cheers me dears!

PB

5 comments:

Philip Ritchie said...

You ain't going to believe this but I was listening to Clapton's version of Presence of the Lord from EC Was Here while walking the dog this morning. Clapton and Yvonne Elliman's voices heartrending.

Thanks for the link about In Christ Alone. I heard it yesterday and thought it was beautiful. 100% with you on the nonsense of the secular/sacred divide.

Mike Todd said...

Loving that Clapton/Winwood offering, Peter... Thanks for pointing it out.

Glad to be on the journey with you bro.

Liz Hinds said...

Just visited Waving not Drowning - what great posts! Haven't listened to this song yet but will come back and do so later.
x

Peter Banks said...

Thanks Phil and for the Twitter big-up... other folk have also said they've listened to or stumbled across the song recently. What I am chewing over is what makes it so much better than the churchy stuff :-)

Thanks for the edit, Mike, your blog is an inspiration, am actually really pleased you beat me to posting about In Christ Alone!

Welcome back, Liz! Just spotted your comment on Mike's blog, so pleased you've explored it too... catch up again soon.

Liz Hinds said...

Never heard this before. Great stuff.

Have you read The Heartbreaker by Susan Howatch? It is a fabulous story of redemption.