Wednesday 2 March 2011

A blast from the eighties...


Was sent this youtube link by my good buddy Peter Bigg 'tother day, who commissioned me for one of my earliest music to picture jobs for The British Television Advertising Awards.

The production became a pretty collaborative process with motion control guru and director Peter Truckel of The Moving Picture Company. Unusually, no final visual element was completed before the initial music track was recorded and therefore I only had the storyboard for inspiration. All the spot sound effects, all created by synths, were then overdubbed as each piece of video was sent over. When I submitted my very first rough demo tape Peter T immediately gave my creative masterpiece the glamorous title of G-Dung!

I can still pretty much identify every instrument used including:

  • Fostex B16 track analogue tape machine
  • Soundtracs 16-8-16 mixing desk
  • Revox B77 half track tape machine (still have - serviced)
  • Yamaha CS-80 Synth (still have - mostly working)
  • Yamaha DX7 Synth (version 1) (still have - broken)
  • Yamaha RX11 drum machine (might still have!)
  • Roland SH-101 Mono Synth
  • Moog Multimoog (still have - broken)
  • Some BanksyBoy vocals! (yep, still have!)
  • Cubase on an Atari ST
  • Great British Spring reverb (still have - condition unknown!)
  • Some cheap and cheerful delay unit
  • Klark Teknik active monitors (still have - one broken)

  • Yamaha NS10 monitors

  • Auratones


It could actually be a bit of a showreel for 80s synth sounds, especially the DX7 brass! The filming and effects took absolutely ages to complete and, at the time, was all very cutting edge stuff...

P

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool :-) I've always wanted a DX7. So do you still do stuff like this nowadays?

Peter Banks said...

Cheers Mr H... Depended on my DX7 for a while, really need to find someone to repair it though.

Yes, still do that kind of work when I get asked, really love the different parameters you have to work to as opposed to writing songs ;-)

Have started to listen to your latest on your blog widget, are you at Greenbelt again this year?

Best, PB

Anonymous said...

Am hoping to be - we'll see what the music committee thinks :-)

Any more evidence of your commissions online?

Will you be at GB?

Cheers,
Andrew

Peter Banks said...

Cheers Andrew... I don't know whether any more of my soundtracks are, I will follow up the lead I have as I worked with him a lot at one time.

I have bought my ticket for GB already, plus I will be accompanying Rob Halligan sometime in the Performance Café too.

Let me know if you make it?

Best, PB